Hiccups are a common problem we’ve all experienced fairly often. They’re nothing serious but sometimes can last for longer period of times and be really annoying.
What is a hiccup? It’s a spontaneous and unexpected contraction of the diaphragm which happens alongside glottis closure and larynx contraction. This blocks the airflow and leads to that particular hiccup sound we all know and find amusing.
The sound you make when you have hiccups is pretty amusing to others but for the person experiencing them, it’s not all that fun.
Although hiccups usually cease after a minute or two without causing any serious problems, they can sometimes last much longer and make it difficult for you to fall asleep and perform your everyday tasks. In some rare cases, hiccups that last for days need to be eliminated with the help of a medical professional.
What causes hiccups?
Hiccups can be caused by a variety of things such as:
- Passionate feelings of joy, euphoria, anxiety and fear
- Eating too fast or too much
- Drinking too much soft drinks
- Eating dry or spicy foods
- Hasty temperature change in the stomach
- Too much alcohol
- Intense laughing
How to stop hiccups?
Hiccups usually go away on their own in a matter of minutes, except for some very rare cases when they can even last for days. In a situation where hiccups last for prolonged periods of time, a professional medical help is required to find a proper solution for this problems.
There are also some very effective natural remedies that can help you overcome this annoying problem easily and stop the hiccups instantly. Even if the hiccups last for just a few minutes they can be really annoying and we’re always searching for a way to stop them so the list below can come in really handy.
- Take a deep breath and hold it in for as long as you can. Take a breath and count to 15 before you breathe out. Repeat this process for 3-4 times.
- Take a big glass of cold water and start drinking it in little sips but fast. Take at least 10 consecutive sips as fast as you can.
- Eat a spoonful of honey.
- Take a paper bag and inhale and exhale in it. If you don’t have a paper, cover your mouth with both hands and breathe in them for a minute.
- Spread out your tongue and keep it out for as long as you can. The hiccups should disappear in 30 seconds or less.
- Cover your ears with your hands gently and hold like that for 30 seconds.
- Slice a lemon and bite it or drink a sip of ACV. Lemon’s acidic nature will help you eliminate hiccups instantly.
- Raise your knees towards your chest and push them against your chest for as much as you can.
Article and image source: http://healthandlovepage.com